Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Hop on the Train

Change can be one of the most daunting aspects of life. It lurks within the shadows, waiting to sneak up on us when we are unexpecting.

Now is a time of change for me. My spouse and I are currently in the process of moving. Those who have moved know what an ordeal this can be. Boxes fill up with objects I hardly realized were there. Furniture feels a lot heavier than I remember, and the fridgerator dwindles as we desperately try not to buy food that we will have to eventually throw away. And moving from an apartment to a house, we will have to learn how to tend a yard.

 Us in the moving process.


Then of course, there's my job. I'm currently at my third week with a company, and though I enjoy it, the work is unlike any I have done before. A new job- another big one. New halls, new sights and smells. New people to meet, new bosses to work under. New work environment, new location, and in some cases, new duties. A first day at a job is like your first day attending a new school. Suddenly you are the "new kid," and must find your place there.
Not to mention, please your new bosses.

Then there's publishing. Plunging into a world that I have never been a part of. I'm forced to learn a sport I have never played; social media marketing, local marketing, tours, interviews, trailers. This, a new full time job, moving, and still keeping up with my writing.

I think the way to deal with this can be summarized by a quote from Chris Rock, in the movie What to Expect When You're Expecting:

"There's no such thing as ready. You just jump on a moving train and try not to die."

(Source: http://www.quotesandpoem.com/quotes/listquotes/movie/what-to-expect-when-you're-expecting)

That can be said about all change. When life throws you curveballs, whether you want them or not, you have to catch them. We have to adapt and learn to embrace change. I mean, that's what's preserved our species, isn't it?
Of course, that's easier said than done. I do feel like I'm on a train, trying not to die. But where this train is taking me? That's something I would never trade. And that's why I chose to hop on. The end result is just too great not to. I have to cruise through so that soon, I can get to my destination :) .

Just felt like reflecting on change. To all my readers who are experiencing change, listen to the wise words of Chris Rock. Go ahead, hop on the train . . . and try not to die!

No comments:

Post a Comment