Wednesday, August 6, 2014

So Many Genres, So Little Time

I know I'm not the only author who feels inspired to write in multiple genres.

I suppose it's because I like to read so many genres that I'm this way. My favorites are fantasy, supernatural and horror, but I have also enjoyed sci-fi, romance, dystopian, inspirational, and even non-fiction. I've been trying to start out with the dual genre, different pen name thing, like J.K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith. But even that's hard! I have a fantasy romance that has been eating at me. Seriously, it won't shut up in my head.

I'm curious as to how many other authors have this problem, and how they handle it. Authors are often encouraged to stick to one genre, two at the most. You don't see Stephen King complaining that he wants to write children's adventure stories. But I wonder, does he ever get that non-horror story pop in his head? What does he do when it nags at him relentlessly? Just ignore it, I suppose. But as an artist, that just seems depressing to me. When a story wants to be told, it lets you know. Like, in flashing, neon colors.

I don't think there's any real answer to this question; only perspective. Sticking with one or two genres makes it easier to maintain a readership and bring in more money. But to ignore the other stories is to stifle one's creativity. Poverty, or restricting one's artistry. Depressing any way you slice it.

Granted, I'm being a little over dramatic here. I know of at least one person who makes a decent living off of writing multiple genres. Then again, they publish a book every month (seriously, they're a beast). I hope to publish every two to three months, but a book a month while working full time at a day job? I think my head would explode.

So, ignore the story and stick to two genres? Or release my creativity and explore multiple genres? An endless dilemma. I don't know. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment